Tuesday, February 1, 2011

oh what a journey

When i accepted the Lord Jesus as my Lord and Saviour..i was in a crowd of more than a hundred people on the last floor of a building in the northern Philippines, where i also studied in college. It's a crowd we're in it is impossible to know everyone and winning friends would not be as easy as 1 2 3 because everyone has it's own life after the service.

I know the Lord purpose me to be there. Because i really need a Saviour...not only because i am a sinner but because a Saviour for me is a Friend who will never leave your side no matter what. What a friend we have in Jesus!!!

Because the one who won me to that Church is a church worker, i became active on church activities and the best thing for me there is the dawn devotions everyday. That works for me. It's like a DAILY STRENGTH. It's talking to the Lord and believing that He hears you. It's a DAILY WALK. A habit.

My first ministry was "helping"...that includes arranging the chairs, preparing the altar, cleaning the place, asshering, etc.

My second ministry was "children"...this includes teaching them how to sing Christian Song (i remembered the first song i ever taught them was "The Love of Jesus sweet and marvelous..."), reading them Bible Stories, training and teaching them to be a follower of Jesus, teaching them good attitudes and behaviors to treat people older than them, good manners, respect...etc. Oh i remember teaching them to be a giver too. This is an amazing part because kids gave out their tithes and offering. Note that this kids were from 3-7 years of age.

My third ministry was "overhead projector operator" which i believe is a ministry that relates to teaching and praising. 7am is an Ilocano (other dialect in the Philippines) Service. I was incharged on the projector for the preaching. My dad and mom were both rooted from ilocano-speaking family by the way. And then comes the english-tagalog service at 9am were in i am the one incharged on the acetate copies of the Praise and Worship songs. To be able for me to know the sequence of the song, i also joined and attended rehearsals and practices.

The things you've read above are just introduction of my blog today :)

THIS STARTED MY JOURNEY...

I love my first three ministries. I grow in the faith because of it. Ministries leads me to understand people and myself. Ministry became my passion...a love. Ministries draws me closer my Lord Jesus.

When i was younger, i always watched singing contest and ofcourse just like the other people who are there to watch, i also felt like i'll be the one to judge the contestants. I always love to sing but i don't sing in front of people aside from my family. I remembered i was inloved with the song "You" by the Carpenters. I even got a tape of it and play it again and again and sing it again and again.

I grow up...but i journeyed before my maturity...before i had a clear picture of my destiny. God guided me. God taught me to love Him more than anything in this world....to seek Him first before thinking of how will i start the day...to trust Him my life...to lean on Him.

My love for music didn't start when i didn't end my shyness and lack of confidence.

I have learned that we cannot serve God well if we cannot overcome ourselves. Sometimes the battle is within us not around us.

I remember one time, a friend wanted to be a part of the Music Team and she asked me to join her inside the room where the pastor will be checking on her...not just for her voice or her love for the songs but i believe it always the intent of one's heart. I even choose a song for her. But when she started singing, it felt like something is missing...i felt it in my heart...it's the HEART itself.

When i graduated in college, i need to go back to the lowland to be with my family and to look for job in my hometown. I was sad because i feel like it would be the end for ministries for me. Day and night my heart cries out. Something is missing in me...i missed my church and my ministry.

But there's always a reason for everything.

Pastor Roddy told me that there's a daughter church in my hometown...this made me glad but still it's another adjustment for me...different faces...different attitudes...different personalities.

But they welcomed me well. Pastor Rey is one of the friendliest pastor i have ever met.

They welcomed me to a ministry..started on the projector and children and helping...then suddenly something happened. I understand. People changed for some reason only God knows. People look for something elsewhere.

I was asked to be a back-up singer. I study the song. Study the lines. One time, someone from Manila visited us and trained us and taught us how to play and sing "Walking in the Light"...he also listen to our voices and share our part or what kind of voice we all belong. I don't know why i am both a tenor and an alto. I don't understand those words before but as days passed by i began to love the songs...not my voice.

4 years after...so many things happened. So many changes. I never thought i'll be called to lead the worship. This is all by the grace of God and His patience and love on me as an individual.

God loves me..this my soul knows very well.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hello, LaLeigh! Thank you visiting and following my blog...A Walk By Faith. I am SO excited to have a new follower and to also follow you on your journey. I am so pleased that God is using you through Praise and Worship...what a blessing. My Pastor has a son that lives in the Phillipines...his name is Tommy Smith and he is married to Ging (I think that is her name). I was wondering if you may know them? I look forward to reading about you more on your journey...God bless!

La Leigh said...

Thank you Tiffany :)

I live in the central region of Luzon. Kindly ask your pastor where did his son and the wife stayed? My husband went back to the US to work after 10months of staying here. It would be nice to know them also. God bless you abundantly.